Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Is There Anything Sweeter than a Country Church?

This is my Grandmother's Church.  And since I was baptized there, it's my church too.  Although, can either my Grandmother or I still claim this as our church since my Grandma passed away a while ago and I live half a country away?  I think yes.  If home is where your heart is, then I think a church can be too.  Don't you?



Although, even this country church has come a long way from when I was a kid.  To start, this half on the right, it didn't exist when I was a kid.  When I was a kid, it was just the main chapel with open crawl space underneath.  Under the church was a great place to catch crickets and lizards.  And yes, I managed to do both in a dress, and still be lady-like.  Sorta.


The original church also used to have out-houses out back.  We didn't use them of course, the Church had indoor plumbing by then.  And out back, we used to have picnic tables under a porch where we'd celebrate during revival. Mmmmm.  Cornbread, fried chicken, black eyed peas and deviled eggs.  I can smell the southern cooking now!  That's all done in the new addition now.  It has a lot of indoor seating and a lovely kitchenette space.



But one thing that hasn't changed?  The view.  Something about this view always makes me feel closer to God and at one with the nature around me.  And if you look really hard, you can see the farm from here.

Seriously.. Thoughts?

1 comment:

  1. My church was a small Lutheran church out in the country in Pennsylvania. On a regular Sunday , we had about 40 people. Christmas Eve we had over 100. Surrounding the church was the cemetery. I now attend a large church, All Saints Church in Pasadena. However, its size doesn't stop me from having feelings of "I've found my small country church."

    ReplyDelete