Thursday, December 6, 2012

A Few Of My Favorite Things

One of my very favorite things about the holidays is the music.  I could, and do, listen to Holiday music all year round.  Annoying to most, but some special few get me when it comes to this and can't help but smile when a song about Old Saint Nick comes blaring out of my speakers in July.

I have several all-time favorite holiday songs.

In 1977 Bing Crosby was readying to make his 42nd Annual Christmas Special.  In his 70s, he asked for someone young to help draw in the younger crowd and David Bowie was suggested.  David Bowie a big Bing fan agreed to appear in the special and in September of '77 they met to film singing a Little Drummer Boy duet.  After the first run through, David - yeah, I call him David because we're close like that - didn't like how his voice sounded so the producers created a second melody Peace on Earth.  They spent only an hour rehearsing before shooting the show and nailed it in only three takes.  A month later Bing had a heart attack and died after winning a game of golf.  A month after that they aired his final holiday special in his honor.  This has always been one of my all time favorite tunes - holiday and otherwise.



The first time I heard Trans Siberian Orchestra's Christmas take on Pachebel's Canon, it gave me chills.  Taking one of my classical favorites and turning it into a holiday song was brilliant!  And every time it comes on I make sure all of my family knows how much I absolutely love it.  What really makes this song for me are the children's voices.  So sweet and pure and innocent - all the very best things about the holidays.



Last Sunday, The Tweedles sang for the very first time together at our church at the evening service for the lighting of the first Advent candle.  This is Bunny's third year in the children's choir and Bug's first.  In fact, this was Bug's very first time standing in front of the whole congregation and singing ever.


How adorable are these two in their choir robes?  Pretty cute no?


This was actually a blend of three of the children's choirs at our church.  Separated by age, Bug is part of the youngest group (kinder and first graders), Bunny is part of the second group (second and third graders) and the last group seen here at the top levels were the fourth and fifth graders.


And all of these kids sang their little hearts out.


Bug is hard to see from this view, he's at the bottom behind our choir director


I think I have a new holiday favorite.

Seriously.. Thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment