Saturday, January 14, 2017

Zumba Madness - A New Year's Resolution

One of my New Year's Resolutions was to get myself moving more.  I know I know, it's already over half way through the month, but you know what? Better to start half way through the month instead of half way through the year!  And besides, I have to be organized before I start anything new, and these things take time.  Work with me people!



A friend of mine (For the sake of this blog we'll call her The Mighty Miss M. She's amazing and wonderful and smart and funny and gosh darn-it, I like her - I think she might even be my people even though we still have YET to hang out more than just at kid events.. If you're reading this Might Miss M - wanna go for coffee and talk about whatever for a few hours? Okay.. enough adoration.. back to the original sentence) teaches a Zumba class.  She's been asking me to come dance my bootie off with her for a couple of years now but her classes are at like 9AM.. you know, when I'm working.  Or Friday nights, when I'm usually at some sort of practice for one of The Tweedle's sports.  Needless to say, I haven't attended even once. But the idea of dancing for my exercise seems like something I could actually do and even enjoy

Now, I could do a super extroverted grown-up thing, and find a place that does Zumba at times that I could actually attend, but I have a few excuses for not doing that.
  1. The Mighty Miss M is my FRIEND!  How dare you suggest I go do Zumba with anyone other than her! What kind of callous monster are you? 
  2. INFJ - INTROVERTED.  If I don't actually have to leave my house to get something done, all the better.  Now I know this goes against my desires to make more friends - I'm a mushy bowl of contradiction, what can I say? 
  3. I'm about 35 lbs overweight right now - the most I have ever weighed without growing a child inside of this body.  I know. I know.  I don't know how that happened either (yes I do). I found out yesterday afternoon at 2pm that Bug's first basketball practice was yesterday at 6pm prompting me to go out after school to buy a pair of jeans that actually fit - because all of mine are too small.  Nothing like 4 hours notice that you'll have to be in public with a bunch of parents who don't know you when you're fat and have nothing to wear.  Needless to say, I'm a bit self conscious right now.  And until I get myself down a size or two, I don't feel like putting on ANYTHING even remotely clingy - all exercise clothes ever - or worse too bulky making me seem even LARGER than I already am - or going out for extended periods of time around women who are probably more skinny, beautiful and coordinated than I am.  
  4. I don't have to and you can't make me! (sticks my tongue out at you).



My TV like most new models, can connect directly to YouTube, so I went searching on for Zumba videos I could follow until I feel a bit more confident in myself.  Now, I only picked songs I knew and could sing along with and tried to find videos that were clear without TOO many people because I'm blonde and easily distracted and didn't want to get confused about who I was supposed to be watching.  I found this group of 3 ladies who did a series of videos that seemed to meet all of my requirements and who seemed fun and high energy.  I tried to find videos with them as often as I could.  And I  made three playlists of different music. Tah-Dah!  You're proud of me aren't you? Feel free to applaud.

One is POP with music from the 90s and 00s (is this how you write this?) and has song like:

  • What Makes You Feel Beautiful - One Direction
  • I'm Into You - J-Lo
  • Uptown Funk - Bruno Mars
  • Roar - Katy Perry
  • Can't Stop the Feeling - Justin Timberlake
  • Shake It Off - Taylor Swift
  • Baby - Justin Beiber
  • Ice Ice Baby - Vanilla Ice
  • Thriller - Michael Jackson

I'm eclectic, what can I say?  If you wanna maybe try some of these with me you can check out my complete Seriously.. Thoughts? Zumba Pop list.

The second one I made is a Country mix of songs like:

  • We Are Never Getting Back Together - Taylor Swift
  • Pontoon - Little Big Town
  • Somethin' Bad - Miranda Lambert
  • Country Girl - Luke Bryan
  • Save a Horse Ride a Cowboy - Big N Rich
  • River Bank - Brad Paisley
  • Little Toy Guns - Carrie Underwood

It was harder to find country songs so this list is much smaller than the POP one and I couldn't find as many with the three girls I like, but should be good for about an hours worth of dancing.  If you wanna maybe try some of these with me, you can find my complete Seriously.. Thoughts? Zumba Country list.

I even found a CHRISTMAS MUSIC LIST!!! (This is like GOLD people!)

  • One More Sleep -  Leona Lewis
  • Run Run Rudolph - Kelly Clarkson
  • It's Christmas Time - KJ-52
  • Santa Baby - Glee Cast
  • Drummer Boy - Justin Beiber & Busta

Obviously, this list is MUCH smaller but soooooo worth it! These are on my Seriously.. Thoughts? Zumba Christmas list.



I'm starting on Monday after I get rid of The Hubs and The Tweedles so no one can watch me shake my uncoordinated bootie while loudly singing along.  Wish me luck!

** EDITED **
Monday is a holiday... so.. Tuesday it is!

Seriously... Thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment