Monday, November 19, 2012

Grown-up Weekends and Santa

We had our good friends Tamlin and Joanne up over the weekend which meant a few things.

1. I didn't get any writing on my NaNoWriMo novel.  Not a single word, which was slightly disappointing and would have made me sad except for points 2 and 3.  The good news here is that I've just broken 40,000 words and should actually meet my 50,000 word goal before the end of the month! Yay!

2. We got to spend the weekend hanging out with two of our favorite people, laughing and talking and generally having fun.

3. We left the house.  I know this might be shocking to some of you, but we actually physically left our home and went into old town.  We had a late lunch at a really great french place.  I had hot chocolate where they brought me a steaming cup of milk and the tiniest pitcher you've ever seen filled with warm, delicious belgian chocolate that I got to pour in myself!  Then after some window shopping we ended up at a bar/restaraunt that brews it's own beer and had menu items like Venison Tartar and Truffle Mac & Cheese and more kinds of beer than either Tamlin or The Hubs could get through even if we stayed all night, which regretfully we didn't.

4. I got very little contract or overtime work done while they were here, so I ended up working late last night to try to catch up, making  me very tired this morning.

5. No laundry was accomplished this weekend and now I have piles of it waiting for me.

I love it when they come up or conversely when we go down to visit them sans kids, because it allows us to just be us for a while.  Not mom and dad, not employees and in The Hub's case, not a student, but a real live honest to goodness couple who ya know, hang out and talk with other grown-ups.  It also reminds me that I don't always have to go 90 miles an hour or get EVERYTHING done.  There are more important things than laundry people.  I know you don't believe me, but it's true.

While their visits are always awesome and rejuvenating, this one had a twist that I just can't help but comment on.  We took a mini field trip to a hardware store to find a dryer vent cleaner (to help my eventual laundry pursuits) when we came across this guy.


He's almost 6 feet tall and the minute we saw him, we all wanted him.  I made the observation that he would be the perfect alternative to a Christmas Tree.  Just put your tree skirt down and pile all of the gifts at his feet.  Or better yet, get those big giant sacks and have one for each kid on the floor at his feet.  Upsides? No needles, no worrying about tree fires, no having to figure out how to get a real tree home, no watering the tree, and no worrying the kittens will climb the damn thing bringing it and all of our ornaments crashing down in a big 'ol mess.  I also think he'll become a great new tradition in our family that's unique.  The Hubs was on board right away and apparently so were Tamlin and Joanne since we now both have matching Santa's in our homes - so much for our unique tradition!  I know we haven't even gotten to Thanksgiving yet, but I'm not sure we could have hidden this guy until after Thanksgiving in our small house, so there he stands in the corner of our dining room.

The only downside we've found so far?  When we walk into the room it's always a little startling until we realize it's him.

Ho Ho Ho!

Seriously.. Thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment