Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Mayberry Ain't Got Nothin' On Us

While we were visiting at the farm, The Tweedles got to go fishing for the very first time.  Now, please, bear in mind that they are only 5 and 3, so no, they didn't catch anything.  In fact, I think we spent more time getting them set up, than they did actually fishing.  But it was a fun experience none the less.

On the afternoon of our last day, we put off nap time and gathered the kids up to go down to the Big Pond to fish.

Let me say here right up front, I do not fish.  That's not to say when I was younger spending summers at the farm, that I did not fish.  I did.  But I don't recall ever catching anything and frankly, sitting quietly waiting for the fish to bite was outside of my capabilities when I was young.  A teacher might refer to me as "Energetic" but lets face facts, I was High-Strung. Of course, I'll deny that if anyone asks. But fishing is a farm experience I didn't want The Tweedles to miss out on, so The Hubs was awesome enough to show them how it's done so I could play with my camera catch it all for posterity.
The first thing The Hubs did after getting each of The Tweedles a pole, was realize that if they sat on the dock (which my wonderful and amazing Uncle K built when my brother and his family was visiting so they could fish) they'd lose their boots in the pond.  So, off came the boots!

Then he got a fishing pole with a bobber for each of the kids and set them up to fish.


Bunny first, because she's the oldest, most annoying and has no patience to be second.  High-strung people, I have no idea where she gets it from.


Bug dutifully held his fishing pole for a good 5 minutes.  We were so proud.

Bunny watched The Hubs cast and reel a few times and wanted to do it herself.  The Hubs being the absolutely amazing father he is, sat down and taught her how to cast.  He has way more patience than I do.  It's why I married him.  I needed someone to balance me out.  But I'll deny that if asked.



She didn't do so bad either!


And for a while there, they all fished in happy harmony.

Can I just stop here a second and tell you how much I love this photo.  There's just something about Bunny and The Hubs fishing together that really chokes me up and gets me all misty.  And her one pant leg rolled up just a little, and in her stocking feet.  I don't know why, but this one sure gets me.

Of course, then one gets me too.

And this one.

Are you sure we can't move to Texas Hubs?  Hello?  Are you listening? 
These photos always make me start whistling the theme song to The Andy Griffth show and I get a clear visual of Opie walking barefoot on a dirt road with his fishing pole over his shoulder.



Opie's got nothing on my Bug though.

Seriously.. Thoughts?

1 comment: