Sunday, September 26, 2010

The "Perfect" Dress

So, GG's sweet 16 party plans are gearing up.

Step 1.
THE.DRESS.

GG informed me her "theme" for party was 1920's glam.  We're not talking flapper dresses here people.

Actually, let me back up.  Originally it was going to a 1800's masquerade ball.  She asked to wear my wedding gown.  Let me give you a moment to process that. Yeah, after I got done laughing at her, I told her we'd take a bunch of her friends around to all the thrift stores to try on wedding dresses that we could then dye pretty colors for the party.  Not sure what happened to this plan, but over the summer we fast forwarded a century and now it's 1920's glam.

After a few hours of searching, we settled on this dress but in a medium purple color.


It was very glam.  It was very 20s.  It was a mermaid cut, which is exactly what she wanted. (you can find it here on ebay by seller JenniferWu58)

Sometime in the last few weeks, this dress was tossed out on it's bling and ruching.  And we went through a few more rounds of dresses.  Starting with this one:

 It wouldn't be in blue of course.  It would be in a medium purple.  And while this dress is in fact mermaid, and definitely an evening gown.  For some reason, it just didn't scream 1920s.  I don't know why.  Just go with me on this one. (You can get this dress here, by ebay seller East.Charm)

Then there was this choice.


It was glammy.  And of course, she'd want it in a medium purple.  The glammy rhinestones are nice.  I like the boa-esque shoulder strap.  But the folds on the top were a little too geometic to be 1920s and she just wasn't in love with it. (You can get this dress here from ebay seller Allurelove)

There have been a few tears tonight while we try to find THE.DRESS.  A few phone calls to her mom to find something that would be perfect.  A few phone calls to a seamstress friend to talk about costs and styles and if what we were finding were even good deals.  A few more talks with me.  A few more talks with her Mom.  Did I mention there were a few tears?

She did pick a dress - not one of the ones shown.  I don't know yet if it's going to be THE.DRESS.  But she'll need to decide soon, as we're quickly closing in on the 6 week delivery time a custom dress like this will require.  I just hope, no matter what dress she ultimately decides on, that she feels like the beautiful young woman she is when she finally gets to wear it at her party.  At the end of the day, a sweet 16 is about signifying coming into adulthood.  It's a rite of passage and an important stepping stone.  So far this year, she's shown such huge improvement in her maturity.  Just from the end of last year to the beginning of this one.  It's one of many steps along her path and while life is never perfect, I hope for this one night, all her dreams come true.

Seriously.. Thoughts?


P.S. As usual, these are not paid advertisements.  Neither Ebay nor the Sellers has any clue who I am, and probably couldn't care less.  These are simply the dresses GG found that she liked.

1 comment:

  1. You are so right. I met GG when she was five or six. I've watched her grow into a young woman as I have Lone Wolf.
    I remember our trip to Big Bear with you guys. I was out on the deck cooking chicken and for the first time GG came out and had a long conversation with me. I don't know that I would classify the conversation as "adult", but it was a mature conversation. I felt like I was speaking to a young woman rather than a kid. It also brought the fact that she is growing up into reality for me. Your children are truly my nieces and nephew. To all those boys out there treating Lone Wolf as anything less than a lady, and to all of you looking at pictures of GG and thinking anything other than, "She is pretty"...you WILL deal with ME, Uncle Bear!

    ReplyDelete