Monday, October 22, 2012

October 22, 1988

1988 was a busy year.  I say this with some authority because I just looked it up online.  On October 22, 1988 I was 13 (almost 14) and in 8th grade.  And despite my complete lack of interest, lots of things were happening all over the world.  

Some good:

Iran - After 8 years and 1.5 million dead the Iran -- Iraq war ends
Australia - Australia celebrates its bicentennial.
UK - Archaeologists uncover the original Globe Theatre in London
U.S. - US Shuttle program resumes 2 1/2 years after Challenger disaster

And some not so good: 

Armenia - Earthquake in Armenia Kills 60,000
Scotland - Suspected Libyan terrorist bomb explodes on Pan Am jet over Lockerbie in Scotland on December 21st killing all 259 on board and 11 on the ground
U.S. - A new drug Crack appears ( A derivative of Cocaine ) and is increasingly found in US Cities

Being the geek that I am, I can't pass up mentioning some of the great science & technological advances that year even though at the time, I could have cared less.

First transatlantic fiber optic cable laid able to carry 40,000 telephone calls simultaneously
Stephen Hawking Publishes " A Brief History Of Time "
The first major computer virus infects computers connected to the Internet.
The Hubble Space Telescope is put into operation.
The US Stealth Bomber is unveiled.
Using Carbon Dating it is established that the Turin Shroud Can Not Be the Burial Cloth of Christ,
The Antidepressant Prozac introduced which quickly became the market leader for treating depression.

It was also the year of movies like Rain Man, Who framed Roger Rabbit, Die Hard, and a Fish Called Wanda which were much more in my sphere of life experiences than all that other stuff.  Hey, I was 13.  If it wasn't entertaining or a boy, I wasn't much interested.

It was also the year of George Michael's Father Figure, which I admit I could sing by memory even today.


And which, to my 13 year old mind, was the sexiest song I had ever heard.  Ever.

In October of 1988 I was living in New Hampshire attending Oyster River Middle School.  I was on the field hockey team and my favorite teacher was Mrs. Andrews.  I had friends, went to middle school dances, laughed and cried in ways only a dramatic 13 year old girl can.  

And on October 22, 1988 across the country in Southern California, a woman was in a local hospital giving birth to a baby girl.



This girl.  Who would, 11 years later, enter my life.  Who would challenge me in ways I never imagined.  Who would - with the help of her father and sister - turn my world upside down and welcome me into her family.  Who would ultimately 13 years after that, still be making me laugh and want to pull my hair out all at the same time.  Who would become someone I could count on to be there for her little sisters and brother.  Who would grow into the amazing, confident and wonderful woman she is today.

Happy 24th Birthday to my Lone Wolf.  I know this year will lead you down new and challenging paths that you will face and conquer with grace and beauty like only you can.  It is my sincere pleasure to watch you continue to grow into the person you are meant to be.

Seriously.. Thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment