Thursday, July 8, 2010

Type A - Over Achiever

You may not have guessed it from my intro post where I proudly declare that I'm an "avid multi-tasker" and "Queen List-Maker", but I am a Type A personality.  I know, I know.. You're shocked.  I know, I can hardly believe it myself.  You would think I was a pretty low-key kinda gal.  I'm living in Sunny SoCal after all.  Live in jeans and have 4 kids.  But no.

My good buddies at Wikipedia say the following about Type A Personalities:

"The Type A personality theory is a personality type theory that describes a pattern of behaviors that were once considered to be a risk factor for coronary heart disease. Since its inception in the 1950s, the theory has been widely criticized for its scientific shortcomings. It nonetheless persists in the form of pop psychology within the general population.

Type A individuals can be described as impatient, time-conscious, controlling, concerned about their status, highly competitive, ambitious, business-like, aggressive, having difficulty relaxing; and are sometimes disliked by individuals with Type B personalities for the way that they're always rushing. They are often high-achieving workaholics who multi-task, drive themselves with deadlines, and are unhappy about delays. Because of these characteristics, Type A individuals are often described as 'stress junkies.'"

Hrmm.  Multi-tasker?  Drives themselves with deadlines? Unhappy about delays? Impatient? Time-conscious? Controlling? Highly competative? ambitious? Having difficulty relaxing?  Are sometimes disliked by individuals with Type B personalities for the way they're always rushing? Yep, that's me.  That's me to a tee.  I blame my mom for this.  She's a Type A too.  She's also an accountant.  I think being a type A personality is pretty much a requirement for being an accountant.  Maybe I should have been an accountant.  But no.  As I stated in the intro to my Glamour Girl, math is the bane of my existence. And I was told there would be no math.  I don't know who told me, but I believed them.  And I'm sticking to that.

The Hubs, God love him, is a type B personality.  My good friends at Wikipedia have much nicer things to say about type B personalities.

"Type B individuals, in contrast, are described as patient, relaxed, and easy-going, generally lacking an overriding sense of urgency. Because of these characteristics, Type B individuals are often described by Type As as apathetic and disengaged."

Patient, relaxed and easy going, yep, that's The Hubs.  Generally lacking in an overriding sense of urgency?  Yeah, that's him too.  I'm not sure I would go so far as to call him apathetic and disengaged, but he definitely doesn't dance to the same drummer as I do.  In fact, I'm not sure he has a drummer at all.  Maybe he's dancing to a triangle, or a xylophone, or God forbid, a Tuba.  Either way, it definitely takes some communicating to accomplish things around our house.  And as you may remember from here or here, we're not so good at that. Knowing this, means making requests a good deal in advance since his Type B personality doesn't allow him to make a "schedule" of when something will happen and this makes my Type A personality crabby. Very crabby.

In that vain, I started bugging The Hubs around February of this year to get to work on fixing up our back yard for the coming summer, and Glamour Girl's impending Sweet 16.  Now, her Sweet 16 isn't until December, but I mentioned that it's important to ask for these things way in advance to accommodate The Hubs' type B personality.  That and, with all things financial, we need to spread out the expense a bit.

By April, I'd managed to bully him into at least starting the clean-up of our yard.  I'm not sure if it's a Type B symptom, but The Hubs is a collector AND a pack-rat. In fact, so are our older two girls, although, only the oldest seems to rival his obsessions.  So, every few years we have to clean out the yard again, and I bully him into throwing a lot of junk out.  Well, I think it's junk.  I think he just does it to appease me, and make me stop bullying him.  Either way, I love it when he gets all hot and sweaty and cleaning up the yard does that.  So it's win-win for me.  And that's all that matters.


Our yard went from looking like this..


To looking like this.  A huge improvement if I do say so myself.  But the work isn't done yet.  We have a lot to do to get ready for the Sweet 16 party that will be held in our yard.  Including the planting of several new shade trees, 2 avocado trees, and several fruit trees.  We're also planning on planting some vine climbing roses in front of a lattice structure designed to hide our two ugly sheds and the junk around them we couldn't throw away.  We're also building a new deck that you can't see because I'm standing on the old one, and a pergola that will cover not only the deck but the patio as well.  Oh and grass.  We're planning on planting real, live, honest to goodness, grass to replace the weeds you see here.  And yes, it's all weeds.  Mowed weeds, but weeds none the less.  Should be pretty darn beautiful by the time we're done.

I'll keep you posted on our progress, but don't expect much until August.  And not because of The Hubs' type B personality actually.  But because he's in a very rigorous month long, summer school program right now, and truly, he doesn't have time to work on this stuff.  But come August or September, or maybe October we'll see some progress.  Maybe.

Seriously.. Thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment