Saturday, July 28, 2012

Before & After - Seriously Damaged

I've been working the last few weeks on the image below for my amazing friend Cinda.  She's an architect and I do a fair amount of architectural photo compositing for her.  But this time she came with a more personal request for this old family photo.


As you can see there is a ton of damage on this photo.  The yellow actually appears to be some sort of fungus growing on the image itself.  And up close you can see all the dirt on the photo.  It's practically ingrained.  Here's the after.


Lots of different elements here.  Obviously the old standbys of the clone stamp tool, and I did a fair amount with the spot healing brush.  I did a lot with the hue and saturation to take some of the yellow splotches down to where I could work with them.  I had to rebuild the girl's hand because the damage there was so extensive with no big spaces to draw from.  I used dust & scratches tool.  And then levels and curves to really sharpen up the image and make the subjects pop.

Seriously.. Thoughts?

3 comments:

  1. Oh wow, Wendi! What a great job! How nice that you were able to save it for your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, that is awesome. Thank you SO much. This is me, age 4 on my Daddy's lap. I only have a few other photos with him, as he died when I was 7. You made this into a fabulous treasure.
    Gayle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww Gayle, you just made me cry. I'm so glad that you like how it turned out! You just made my day!

    ReplyDelete