Friday, September 7, 2012

It's The End Of The World As We Know It

Apocalypse movies and TV shows are nothing new.  Heck, even before TV there was War of the Worlds on the radio.


And, for some reason, I am captivated by post apocalypse imagery.  Do you remember my post about America Falling Down?  I photographed old decrepit buildings all around the area in Texas where my parents live.


Places that had once been someone's home.  Where kids had played and a family had lived and grown and where memories were made.  I don't know why I feel such an emotional connection to places like these.  Why I am so drawn to them.

All of these post apocalypse movies and tv shows are just an extension of that fascination.  There's a new tv show coming out called Revolution (follow the link to see the complete pilot episode!) where electricity just stops.  The whole thing is very reminiscent of Dies the Fire the first book in a series by S.M. Stirling.


 
They have some stunning imagery of what the world might look like after we all have to move out of the cities and nature starts taking over again



There's also a great show on the History Channel called "Life After People" that really goes in depth into what will happen in specific cities once people are gone.


My friend Holli Alvarado, who I am constantly in awe of for her mad Photoshop skillz, has done some really epic post apocalypse art for video game client, Nuclear Dawn.  She was super awesome enough to provide me with before and after shots of her artwork.


Here's London before she does her magic.


And here's the aftermath.


Dubai before.


And after the devastation. 

Whether it's zombies, aliens, natural disasters or just humans doing ourselves in, there's always survivors and a world to be rebuilt. Maybe it's the idea of starting over that draws me in.  Maybe it's returning to a simpler albeit more barbaric time that appeals to me.  Maybe it's just the idea that no matter how much devastation gets thrown our way, the human race has the drive to survive.



Is anyone else as fascinated by this stuff as I am?  Enjoy the REM to start your day!

Seriously.. Thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment