Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Don't Grow Up - It's a Trap!

Last night, was Bunny's Back to School Fair.  This event happens every year a few days before school starts.  I took the day off from work so I could spend the day helping to set up tables and pop-ups and the afternoon manning a table and generally helping out where they needed me most.  My shifts ended at 6pm, 2 hours into the event, when I finally got to wander down - family in tow - to find Bunny's new class room.  To find out which of her friends are in her new class and meet her new second grade teacher.  Second grade. Wow.  When did that happen??  Just yesterday she was my little baby girl off to her first day of Pre-K..


with her long, beautiful ponytails which she immediately cut off the afternoon she got back from her first day!


Then we had her first day of Kinder. She was so proud to be at a big kid school.  So eager and so ready.


First grade was even better, because she was no longer relegated to the kinder playground.  She got to go play on the big kid play ground and man, was that an achievement!


And, here we are on the eve of her first day of second grade, and even meeting her teacher and seeing her new classroom just wasn't as exciting as playing with her friends.  You know, the ones she hadn't seen all summer?  She's growing up so fast.  She won't even hold my hand any more.  And mostly I'm "mom" instead of "mommy".  Part of me is heart broken.  Part of me wants to grab her and stuff her into a box and never let her get a single day older than she is now.  Part of me wants to keep her my baby girl forever.  But most of me is so proud of the beautiful little girl she's becoming.  Proud of how far she's come, what she's learned and excited about what this new year will bring.

And thankfully, I still have this little guy to be my baby, to call me mommy and to hold my hand.


At least for another year.  Today we go to see his new school, meet his new Transitional Kindergarten teacher and watch him start all-day school like she did 2 years ago.

I changed my mind.  I don't think I'll ever let this one grow up.

Seriously.. Thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment