Friday, August 3, 2012

Let Me Introduce You

This is my camera.


Pretty isn't she?  She's a Canon Rebel XSi, and she was a gift a few years ago from The Hubs.   Here she is from the back.



She's kind of like a super model.  All sleek and stylish and awesome.  She's perfect, except for one little thing.  She an I have a bit of a love/hate relationship.  See, I want to love her, and know how to use her and make beautiful pictures together.   But it just never seems to work out.



This is where it all falls apart for me.  She's got all these cool dials and settings and I get so confused, that I generally keep it on auto (that's the little green square there).  Which does make really beautiful photos, but isn't really a representation of any artistic talent.  Oh, I let that come out when I edit the photos later, but other than lining things up in the frame how I want them, I have no control over the photos I take.  And as a complete Type-A control freak personality, this is.. troublesome.

So, here's what I'm gonna do.  I'm re-dedicating myself to actually learning how to use my camera.  No really, I mean it this time.  I've had a few actual photographers try to explain it to me (Sorry Laura! It just didn't sink in!) and even read a few how-to's online, but I think I just didn't put in enough effort before.  And since I'm a complete Type-A control freak personality, who can't stand failure, I'm going to start again.

My Plan?  To start with the what the heck series from The Pioneer Woman's blog that starts with aperture.  She was the reason I got interested in photography again in the first place, so she's a good place to start. And as I move along and start to try to make sense of all this, I'll post my photos, what I'm learning, where I'm learning it from in a way that make sense.  I'll kinda be like Bob Ross, only without the afro.  And then we'll all shoot happy little trees together.


Seriously.. Thoughts?

3 comments:

  1. A helpful book is 'Understanding Exposure' by Bryan Peterson. One of my first's!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now I want a REBEL, you are my second friend to recommend her. Fall in love with her. I am going to get one for myself, Christmas time for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Lauri! I'll look into it. Norma.. yes.. love love love my camera!

    ReplyDelete